A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Why do I feel the need to suddenly go out and play?

I've had such a nice weekend, but I'm pooped and stiff from all the exercise. As I am saying this, I just signed up for six weeks of beach volleyball at Urban Beach starting May 4. The series is called Train & Play and it's organized by Urban Rec. You get 1.5 hour of drills and technique, then 45 minutes of game time. What a perfect way to start the weekend!

I started Saturday early, someone was going up and down the walkway around 6:30. I had a quick breakfast, then headed over to MEC (again!!). I traded my Keen sandals for paddling booties (a lot cheaper), bought climbing shoes (not cheap) and a chalk bag. The shoes feel tight and a bit stiff right now, but they will stretch to the form of my feet, eventually. I was back home at 10, did a bit of cleaning, then headed out to Granville Island. I had an afternoon of kayaking planned with a group at Ecomarine. We were out in False Creek until 3:30, happily paddling around. There wasn't too much boat traffic in the Creek, so we didn't have to constantly wait for others to go by. It was cloudy for most of the trip, but the sun came out during the last hour. Nice!

Back from the trip, I stopped by the market and bought a few yummy treats for appies. I had friends coming over to my place around 8 for drinks, before we headed out clubbing. I prepared pieces of Bosc pear wrapped in prosciutto, smoked salmon on cucumber slices with sprigs of dill, Jarlsberg cheese on thin crisps with a drop of apricot marmalade, and a plate of cherry tomatoes and mixed olives. But, before entertaining everyone, I had to take a long nap to recover from the afternoon out.

We went out to Ginger 62, nothing fantastic to say about the evening. I was still tired, the music wasn't great and I'm starting to think that the bar scene is really boring me. I was in bed by two.

Today I went climbing with my new friend Sarah (who is a friend of one of my colleagues and took the climbing course with me last Monday). We hit Cliffhanger around noon, and managed to last until approximately 1:30. When you start climbing, your arms get tired really fast because you don't think to rest your weight on one leg or the other to take a break on the way up. After three or four climbs, we were both tired. We've been practicing on 5.6 and 5.7 runs (5.6 are the easiest runs at the gym, and you can go all the way up to 5.11). A run is identified by colored tape. While you're going up, you need to make sure you only use the grips and footholds that are of one color. I haven't been able to do one run cleanly, I always cheat around the end when I start getting tired and grab on to something from another run.

Back home around 2, I snacked and did some reading for a workshop starting in early May (yes, school is starting again, May to end of July).

I want to try a few things this Summer, to hopefully spend a lot more time outside. First, I signed up for volleyball on Friday nights. Then, I'm going to do my assisted capsize recovery course and sign up for a kayaking club in July and August. The Ecomarine location at English Bay has evening kayaking trips on Wednesday nights. A kayaking club just gets a bunch of people together to go paddling every week. I'd rather not set out by myself. And, I think that Sarah and I will sign up for a two-month pass at Cliffhanger (May-June). There's no point signing up for July and August, when you are unlikely to want to be indoors.

And between all this I will find time to study. Oh, and work, obviously ;)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home