A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Precedence and perennials

I am proud to let you know that my grandmother Monique has defended her PhD thesis on March 23 and came out of the session with a mention of excellence on her research. Way to go! Monique is the first PhD in our family. I'm sad to have missed the post-session celebration, but I'm so happy to see that she has finally completed this enormous challenge. With lots of help from grandpa. Even better.

That's one way to set a precedence for the rest of the family ;)

Vancouver was beautiful today, very sunny, but not that warm. There was a heavy wind as you approached the waterfront and it was a cold wind. Even then, I walked to Granville Island this afternoon, grabbed a coffee a JJBean, then sat down on a bench near one of the marinas to ponder about the world (and escape the mad crowds). It was fun to look at boats, people, seagulls for an hour without feeling the guilt of unfinished homework. Yes, the semester is over, I'm done with school until early May.

On my way back home (long way, through Kits), I stopped at the gardening center next to IGA and bought a few perennials. I thought it would be nice to start filling some of the containers with plants that might return next year. Otherwise, the containers look so empty in the winter. I'll add a few annuals in May to brighten up with flowers. Let's see how that turns out.

I'm also getting a tomato plant from my boss. She's the one who grows over 100 different varieties of tomatoes in her garden, some of which I had the pleasure to sample last Fall. I'm getting a strange variety, with stripes and shaped like a cucumber, or a Polish variety that's hundreds of years old. Both fare well in containers.

Fun.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home