A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Recovering

I haven't been sick, or working out any harder than usual, but this afternoon, as I returned home, I feel like I just ran a half marathon. Minus the pain.

Let me start by saying this: I hate Metrotown. For those of you who don't live around here, Metrotown is a mall in Burnaby. A large, busy, bright mall with 470 stores. I didn't really intend to go there, but my cell phone was having problems, I couldn't get it to charge anymore. It was either not registering the charger, or warning me that is was "Unable to Charge". Then the battery died. I didn't want to take a chance and decided to bring it to the tech counter for Fido, on Kingsway in Burnaby. Now, that wouldn't be too far if you had a car, but by public transit, it's a longer trip.

I had originally thought I'd take the 99B-Line to Broadway station, but seeing how the traffic on Broadway was immobile (calling Cambie a bottleneck is an understatement), I took the 15 heading downtown and walked to the Stadium station.

It was easy enough to find the Fido shop and the problem was solved quickly. On my way back, I was going to avoid the mall all together and head directly for the SkyTrain, but then I remembered I needed some makeup from M.A.C and the Bay was right there. That's where I made the mistake of walking out of the Bay, through Metrotown, towards the station.

Let me say this again. I hate Metrotown. And Saturday was probably the worst time to be there. It was insanely busy and noisy. The recycled air did nothing to help. As I was walking past stores, all I could think of was how quickly I could get out of there. And how much the clothes in the stores looked exactly the same. Didn't matter which store I was passing by. All the same. I felt almost dizzy by the time I left the mall. The fresh air felt so good.

The trip back was more pleasant, I got out of the bus at Broadway and Main, then walked all the way to MEC. Now, here was another place that was busy, but it wasn't the same. People were quietly strolling around, checking out the new gear, trying on jackets and PFDs. I bought a pair of Keen sandals that are made for paddling and other water sports. I also bought a couple of t-shirts and a pair of pants that have a polar lining on the inside. Great for cold evenings when you go camping. I've been thinking of going with a few friends on the Victoria day long weekend.

MEC continues to impress me. The store has the largest selection of organic cotton clothing I've seen. They will contribute 1% of your purchase to environmental initiatives. When you buy shoes or boots, they will ask if you want to recycle the box (they return them to the manufacturer, I assume). And if you don't take a bag, they'll contribute an additional $0.05. Over a single purchase, it doesn't seem like a big deal, but over one year of purchases from all their members, it makes a big difference.

I walked back home from MEC, seeing how the bus was stuck in the Cambie bottleneck going West. I think I made it to Oak faster ;)

I was going to workout when I returned home, but that's not going to happen. Tomorrow morning.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home