A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Monday, April 09, 2007

At least I'll be in top shape

I was recently introduced to the world of Facebook and now I'm realizing there's a lot of people on that network. Facebook is an online tool that lets you connect with former coworkers and schoolmates. You can create a profile and add people to your list of friends. By browsing the list of friends of your friends, you often end up discovering you know the same people. And you add these people to your list of friends. I call this viral networking. Unfortunately, I think my former friends from high-school are unlikely to show up on Facebook. I entered the name of the school and it returned lots of hits, most of them graduates from 06-07. I graduated high-school in 1991. Wrong generation. Facebook is also in English only, as far as I can see. Although most of my friends were bilingual, I think some might prefer a site in French. I did manage to find a friend I took the half-marathon clinic with last year. She recently got married. It was nice to hear about it, I had no idea!

I'm signing up for a few activities to keep me busy on weekends and evenings. The goal is to get out, meet people, and do things I enjoy, like kayaking. Hopefully this is also going to help me meet single men in Vancouver. Bars are not the right scene when you want to date and online dating is entertaining at best but it feels slightly like shopping for people. People in Vancouver enjoy the outdoors and physical activity, I enjoy the outdoors (and physical activity, to some extent) and as the weather is getting nicer, now is the time to plan for outings. On April 21, I signed up for a morning kayaking session at Granville Island. Nothing like getting back in a boat and paddling around. Hopefully I can find someone who would enjoy meeting for short kayaking trips now and then. I took a course some time back and really enjoyed it.

Also, on April 19, I'm taking an Intro to Climbing course at Cliffhanger. This is an indoors climbing gym located downtown, not too far from where I work. One of my colleagues has a friend who wanted to learn how to climb but didn't have anyone to try this with. It's easier to start with a climbing partner, especially if you learn together and can manage to meet once or twice per week to practice. I've been interested in indoors climbing for a little while but never went ahead and booked a course. Even when the classes start in May, I can set one evening aside for climbing (I just have to replace a session at the gym).

Even if I don't meet Mr. Right, at least I'll be in shape. Cool.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 10:42 PM, Blogger Erik said…

    Stumbled across your blog today. Fun reading. I hope you enjoy BC and get to use your world travel site soon. Keep blogging.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home