A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Speed dating

Yeah, you read that title correctly. I'm going to write about speed dating. Even better, I'm going to write about MY experience with speed dating. Be prepared to be amazed ;)

Speed dating, if you've only heard about the word but don't know what it stands for, is a way for a bunch of single people to meet other single people and determine if they would like to get in touch with any of the single people they meet at the speed dating event. They say you should know whether you've clicked with a person within the first few minutes of meeting them, hence the "speed" part. Speed dating was invented 10 years ago and if you do a bit of research, I'm sure you can find an event hosted in your area.

I went to my first speed dating event on Saturday. My friend Sarah wanted to give it a try and was looking for a partner in crime. I figured I could now check this off my list. Speed dating? Check! I live for new experiences. Sarah also invited her friend Candice. The three of us met at my place before stepping out, for a glass of wine and some chit chat.

At 7:30, we headed out to Juliet's Cafe in Kits. It's a small cafe probably popular with the locals but on Saturday night, it was empty but for a few nervous looking people. Interesting fact #1 about speed dating: girls attend with a least one friend (as we did), but guys show up alone. We were given name tags, a booklet to take notes and where you would identify your matches, and a free-drink coupon. Another glass of wine was certainly a good idea.

Interesting fact #2, as a woman, you get to sit your ass down for the entire event, as guys are the ones moving from one table to the other after each "date". A date is five minutes, and you figure out how much stuff you can really talk about in five minutes. But like they say, you know almost immediately if you are attracted to someone. Indeed, you do.

In total, I think I got to talk to about 12 guys, all between the ages of 30-40. We were all able to have pleasant conversations within the allocated time. Somehow, it's fairly easy to find at least one thing to talk about. Traveling, work, school, climbing... Out of 12 guys, I didn't pick a single match. Pleasant conversations don't necessarily mean that I found any of them interesting, intriguing, and I wasn't interested in seeing any of them for a second "date". Oh well.

Would I go to a speed dating event again? Probably not. First of all, there's a $50 price tag to the event. It seemed a little bit expensive for what you got. We did get one free drinks and some pretty terrible appies, but even then. I mean, $50 is far from the thousands of dollars you can pay to join professional match-making services (I am unfortunately not kidding), but then again, the selection of attendees is fairly random and only based on falling within an age range.

I didn't feel bad. After the event, Sarah, Candice and I went to Joey's on Broadway for some real food and to compare notes. Neither of us picked any matches. Welcome to Vancouver. A city full of beautiful, successful and independent single woman, and very little interesting single guys. If you ever wondered why I'm still single, here's your answer.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home