A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Happy

Or at least... content with life. There's nothing special going on, I spent a few quiet weekends now, but somehow, I'm really enjoying the downtime. I've been exercising more, reading more, eating better and cooking a lot (not always to a successful outcome, oh well).

I started my day early, around 8 a.m., so I could have enough time for breakfast and a coffee before my spinning class. I had a good class and this time, remembered to bring my heartrate monitor to help me adjust the intensity of the workout. I don't think I pushed as hard as I could, because I had enough energy to do other things afterwards, but my legs were tired and my right knee was starting to hurt. No point getting injured again.

I had lunch while listening to the end of the Vinyl Cafe and 30 minutes of Cross-Country Checkup. Today's topic was the economy and whether people were worried about their finances and a possible recession in Canada. I showered, dried my hair, and headed out for some shopping. It was a nice enough day, maybe 12-14, sunny with a light wind.

My first stop was MEC. I was looking for some casual clothes for the summer, capri pants, short-sleeve shirts, t-shirts, etc. I tried a bunch of stuff, but nothing really appealed to me (or fit properly). I ended up buying two t-shirts, 100% organic cotton thank you very much (and $10 each, how does that work?). I then walked to Choices and picked up some groceries. I was there for a few specialty items that I can't find at Sunshine Market or Save-on-Foods. Choices also has a better selection of organic meats. Unfortunately, their fish selection is poor. If I base my purchases on SeaChoice Canada's Seafood Guide, nothing at Choices falls in the "best choice" category, at least nothing that was available today. I think I did see one package of Sablefish, but it was tiny and wouldn't even feed one person.

I spent a few hours reviewing documentation (work stuff) so I could send my comments before the day starts in Bangalore. I then made dinner, sole baked in the oven and a green salad. Since I had the oven started, I also prepared a shepherd's pie with organic Russian Blue potatoes from Pemberton, canned corn kibbles and fake ground. The shepherd's pie was OK (I had a bite when it came out of the oven), the blue potatoes are sweet and give a lot of colour to the dish, but fake ground tastes, well, not like ground meat. I think next time I'll try it with ground buffalo.

After dinner, I watched Killer of Sheep, a movie made in 1977. It was supposed to be a classic of American cinema. I didn't really get into it.

And now, I'm happily going to change into my PJ's and read a bit before my eyes can't stay open anymore. The 8 a.m. early start at work doesn't even phase me, I feel well rested and ready to tackle the week.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home