A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Bandwagon

Oh my... I am sore and bruised. But I had so much fun, as soon as my arms stop hurting, I plan to do it again.

Beach volleyball. Sand everywhere (including in your ears), twenty-something courts, sun going down over the water, and the weather giving us a break from the rain and cold: perfect!! I started the train and play program at Urban Beach and had the opportunity to work on technique as well as play for over two hours. It was great, we have a varied (and large) group of participants, early 20s to early 40s, everyone was really nice and eager to play volleyball. I will look forward to Friday nights.

The Canucks lost to the Ducks on Thursday, have you heard? This unfortunate turn of events gave me the opportunity to witness the "bandwagon" effect that inundates Vancouver during playoff season, and how quickly the enthusiasm for the local team fades once they lose. I'm sorry to say it's not the first time, but this year it was much more obvious. I was having a drink on Thursday night at Relish, they had a couple of large TVs in the lounge. BTW, I haven't found many bars in Vancouver that don't have TVs. That's still strange for me. I wasn't really following the game, maybe looking at the screen now and then (you can't miss it). I heard people cheer, excitement grew as the game went into overtime. Then a loud cheer from the broadcast. And dead silence from the room. Anaheim scored, the Canucks were out of the playoffs. Just like that.

By the time we asked for the bill, our waiter, who was previously wearing his white Canucks jersey, was now wearing a black shirt. I asked what happened to the jersey, he said "not funny". I was going to say "what happened to all the love?", but I figured that wasn't a good idea, I didn't want to get blacklisted from Relish, I do enjoy dining there once in a while. The morning after, while I was waiting for the bus at the bottom of the Granville bridge, I noticed a stunning decline in the number of cars going by with Canucks flags. A few days before, two out of three would have had at least one.

The playoffs are over as far as Vancouver is concerned.

I, personally, haven't watched hockey consistently since high-school. I do go out to watch a game now and then with friends, but won't cancel plans because it's game night. For a large part of the city though, everything stops when a game's on. I've left work late a few times, after the game had already started, and probably could have walked in the middle of Broadway without encountering a single car for a few blocks. In the evening, if I left a window open, I could tell when the Canucks scored just by the loud cheers coming from neighboring condos.

It's all so quiet. Ssshhh, ssshhh. It's all so still. Ssshhh, ssshh.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home