A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Attraction

I've been going out a bit more these days, because the sun is back and it stays dry outside for more than 24 hours. The rain has a way of making you want to stay on the sofa with a movie, drinking a warm tea. There are salsa nights, cultural outings, girl's night out, and afternoon meetings for coffee. Bars are usually not my thing, never have been, which is curious since I worked in bars for many years. There probably lies the reason why I dislike them so much, I know the crowds that they attract and the lifestyle.

As a now single woman, I do look at the men that cross my path (or at least pay a bit more attention now) and I have to admit that so far, I've never come across someone who made me stop in my tracks, turn around, someone who caught my attention. I see a lot of good looking boys, with their messy hair and surfer looks (and attitude, dude), but I don't want to meet boys. I asked Lara the other day what she thought of the men in Vancouver. I know Lara's been scouting men for her best friend. We are both coming to the same conclusion: this city lacks attractive, interesting men who are not already dating, engaged or married.

Men also don't flirt here. That must be something that Montreal got us used to, where men have an easier time talking to women, smiling at them, just saying "Hi" where you walk pass them. Here, if you walk towards a man walking alone, he'll often lower his eyes or look elsewhere, at least until he's passed you.

Now, Charles beg to differ on our examination of the dating situation. For the price of a home cooked meal involving meat in the company of his girlfriend and alternate girlfriend (that's me), Charles will reveal the secret to attracting the type of men I am seeking but not finding. Because I am intrigued at what he will come up with and because he is leaving abroad for the next six months (for work), I had to take on his offer. I've also been meaning to cook a nice roast :-)

You never know, if his material is good and proves to be helpful, maybe I'll publish my own best-selling self-help book, specifically for the single women of Vancouver: Dating in the City of Glass.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 10:19 PM, Blogger Melissa said…

    Yes, this is a scenario that repeats itself daily. Thanks for your kind words. I agree, it is crazy.

     
  • At 8:50 PM, Blogger YaletownYuppie said…

    hey... good post. Got me thinking about this too. I think it's a two way street. if Vancouver guys don't flirt, Vancouver girls are just as guilt! I'm blogging it now...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home