A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Dance like you mean it...

It's all about the music baby.

This post from my friend Raf made me laugh. Because honestly, if I had to dance on hip-hop, I would be the 30-year old he's referring to (well, without the mom part). See, I couldn't dance on hip-hop because I don't get the music. And that's what dancing is all about.

Now here's the kicker: that's not how they teach you how to dance. Learning to listen to music is not what people will pay money for, they will pay to learn moves. And they stand in front of a patient teacher and learn moves. Then starts the music... and the carnage.

I've seen it in dance classes, I've seen it at the gym. My gym has aerobics salsa and aerobics belly dancing classes on Thursdays. Sometimes, I happen to be at the gym when the classes are held and, not knowing anything about belly dancing, I won't comment on that one. However, way to make salsa the most annoying dance in the world. Ripping salsa apart to leave a few easily repeatable movements means none of the sensuality of the dance is maintained. At least the music was good, but nobody seemed to really enjoy it. They were making sure they were doing the moves right.

Raf saves himself a rebuke for the 30-year-old-women-dancing hip-hop comment by being a salsa lover first, and then a salsa dancer. When there's salsa playing, he can't stop moving. That's why it's a pleasure going to salsa nights with him. (I know he reads the blog, hi Raf!)

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 8:39 AM, Blogger YaletownYuppie said…

    Tru dat. You can teach people the moves... but you can't teach them to dance. I guess that's why I found the hip-hop class so frustrating. If you don't feel the music or understand it or appreciate it, you'll never learn how to move with it.

    I've had hip-hop in my blood for pretty much all my life so it's second nature. Salsa is taking time because as a pairs dance there's so much to learn that is foreign. Especially difficult is how to communicate with your body. But that's also the fun part :)

    oh... and to clarify, I have no problem with 30 year old women. Especially, ones that dance well!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home