A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Composting woes

On a beautiful, sunny and warm February day in Vancouver, it's easy to start thinking about spring, flowers, cleaning your patio planters and, soon, enough, what plants you're going to grow in there. And what best ingredient to grow healthy plants than compost. Which obviously reminded me that I hadn't looked into how to get a worm compost bin set up at home yet.

During Christmas, dad showed me his worm compost in the basement and even offered to send me home with a handful of critters. Somehow, I wasn't sure how I would pass a container full of worms through security ('cause they would freeze in checked-in luggage) if they won't even let you carry on a sealed bottle of wine. And, after all, how hard can it be to get worms, a plastic bin, and a few instructions on how to keep the creatures happy and chewing away at your food scraps?

A bit hard, if you want to start this immediately.

Today, I called the Vancouver Composting Hotline (I'm not kidding!) to book an appointment for a worm-composting introduction session. For $25, you get the basic kit to get you started (bin, bedding, worms) and a one-hour overview on this method of composting. Pretty good deal, as I've seen sites advertising worms for sale for $35 per pound (really?). Unfortunately, the first available appointment is on April 12. While I'm happy to hear that these sessions are popular, this is still two months away and if I start in April, I won't get any usable compost until July.

So, maybe I'll start asking friends if anyone knows anyone who already has a worm compost and wouldn't mind parting with a few worms to spread the composting love.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home