A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Thunder

I seem to be set on weekly posts. Until December, it just might have to do, I can't seem to find the time to write during the week.

Every Friday, I have this little routine that helps my body and my mind break away from the week and get nicely settled into the weekend. Before I head home, I pick up some sushi and a movie, or a few episodes of a TV series. Then, I go home, don't answer the phone, eat yummy rolls in front of the TV. Last night was no exception, except I had to do everything under the pouring rain. It's OK, I mean I know once I get home, everything comes off and is hung to dry while I slip into comfy and warm clothes. But still, I rained so hard, my jeans were wet up to the knees and there were rivers rushing down pretty much everywhere in the streets. I guess the storm drains can just take so much.

While I was enjoying a Dragon roll and about to find out if Meredith Grey was really dead, I saw this flash of light outside. "No", I thought, "impossible!" And then the loud crack of thunder shook the building. So amazing.

Back East, lightening and thunder are common. Summer storms are very dramatic, the explode almost without warning and then leave after dumping large quantities of rain all over. Here, we never get thunder. In the (almost) five years that I've been here, I think I heard thunder twice. We get rain, days and days of rain, but it's not often a sudden downpour mixed with heavy winds. Well, we did get that last year and look what happened...

I love big storms. When they happen in the summer, they usually help clear muggy and heavy warm air, bring in a welcomed breeze and soak parched gardens.

We've had lots of rain here in Vancouver this week, but I count myself lucky. Twice when I was walking back from the climbing gym (about 30 minutes), I barely got a drizzle even though we had seen heavy rain all day. It rained mainly when I was at work. Rain is also a good motivator to spend the weekend working on my applied project. I started sending sections for review by my supervisor. So far, he seems to think that I'm on the right track and I'm discovering really interesting things.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home