A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Bonjour

I'm writing this post from the dining room at my parents' place. I am in Montreal for the next few days, for a short visit that started with my friend Anaïs' wedding on Saturday. Anaïs and I have known each other since we were about 3 or 4, and have spent our childhood playing together, along with Annie, Marc-Antoine and Anaïs' sister Rosalie. We never attended the same schools, but would still manage to spend weekends and holidays together. Lately, I've only seen my second family on New Years Eve, a long-standing tradition where the two families have dinner together and watch Quebec's countdown show to the New Year, the Bye Bye. Needless to day that when I received the invitation to the wedding, I knew I was going to make my way to Montreal in late September.

The wedding was a small intimate affair with lots of people I hadn't seen in a long time. The ceremony was short and dotted with live music and short readings. We then made our way to the ITHG (Institut de tourisme et d'hôtellerie du Québec) for drinks and appies, then dinner, dancing and live entertainment. We had a really good time, I'll post some of the pictures shortly.

I'm out East until Wednesday. Tomorrow, I'm spending the day with Lara and will meet Fred for lunch. Tuesday, Annie managed to get me a free ticket to a conference on sustainable development at HEC. It includes lunch with the Quebec Premier, Jean Charest. The conference format is really interesting, they host a discussion between the "wise" and the next generation, all people involved in sustainable development in Quebec. Not only will it be a great opportunity to learn more about the topic, but it will allow me to increase my knowledge of the French terminology for the domain. Most of what I read right now is in English.

Not sure what I'll be up to on Wednesday. I have to do some work for Thursday, when I am hosting two training sessions. I have my slides ready, but I need to walk through the demo part a few times to make sure everything works. I'll probably also write a bit of content for my applied project and send it for my supervisor to review. I have to get the ball rolling on the content, I've been reading a lot and have started conducting interviews, but have been falling behind on capturing some of my ideas. I have to send the entire paper for review by early November, so it is ready to be submitted by December 10. That leaves me with a month to write. Yikes.

Does anyone know where I can find thank-you cards made from 100% recycled paper? These are hard to find, I guess people write thank-you e-mails more often than cards. I tried a local green co-op, where they had a few postcards that came with envelopes, but they didn't really have many interesting designs. Tomorrow, I'm going to try the main bookstore chain here in Montreal, Renaud Bray, they carry a lot of cards and stationary, so you never know... I know that electronic wishes would be very environmentally friendly, as they do not consume any resources other than power. However, some situations deserve a little extra TLC. I also clearly remember the last two thank-you cards I have received (and I kept them). Sometimes, it's worth it to aim for that lasting impression.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home