A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Monday, August 27, 2007

Slowly recovering from the weekend...

Isn't that what the work week is for? :-)

I had a great weekend, barely had a thought for the cool and rainy weather we had on Saturday. What's a little rain when you are having fun?

Saturday was spent partly with Dina, Steve, Ben and Naomi. We had lunch together on Granville Island and then went for a live show under the Burrard bridge. This was a production from Boca Del Lupo called Quasimodo. A little experimental for me, but entertaining nonetheless. We saw the show with Libby, Dan and Jonah, which was great. I hadn't seen these guys for a while. Here's a great picture of Dina and I at the restaurant, a picture of Libby and I chatting, and a picture of Naomi creatively using a blanket to keep me entertained for a few minutes. Saturday night was quiet, I had to get up early on Sunday so I rented a few episodes of House and tried to go to bed early (I failed, oh well).

I was awaken at 1:38 a.m. by pouring rain outside, and couldn't go back to sleep immediately as I kept on hoping that it wasn't going to rain like this in the morning. Fortunately, it didn't. It was a little wet early on Sunday, but the sun eventually came out.

I was meeting my colleague Troy, my friend Typhanie and Troy's friend Dave for a day of canoeing up Indian Arm. Troy picked up Typhanie and I at 8 around Broadway and Granville, and then drove us to Deep Cove where we were having our canoes delivered by the rental place. You can rent boats out of Deep Cove, but everything was already booked.

The trip out from Deep Cove was uneventful, but as we were getting close to lunch time and a bit tired, we noticed that the wind had picked up and the waves were much bigger. We went looking for a place to land the boats for a snack, but no such luck. We started paddling back and then realized it was A LOT harder than on the way out. Yikes.

Fortunately, we already had an amazing plan. Dave's parents were on their yacht in Indian Arm and we were invited aboard for lunch. We just had to find them and paddle up. Great timing, everyone was getting a bit frustrated with the waves by the time the boat aimed our way. We climbed aboard, lifted the canoes onto the back, and then spent the next two hours enjoying the luxurious ride. Dave's mom made us lunch, Dave's dad was showing us around Indian Arm, and we simply couldn't believe our luck. Here's a picture of frustrated paddlers, another one, a picture of Typhanie and I lounging on the yacht, and a picture of the boat. It doesn't look very big in the picture, but trust me, it was. The kitchen was bigger than my kitchen at home (well, OK, I have a very small kitchen, but still!).

We were dropped off close to the shore and paddled back, had our rental guy pick up the boats, and then headed over to Soraiya's place for drinks and snacks. Soraiya is a former colleague of mine who just finished her MBA at Cambridge and is now moving to London to start her new job. She was in Vancouver, visiting her family for a few weeks.

Needless to say, I slept like a baby last night and woke up really sore.

So much fun.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home