A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Neglect

I wish I could manage my time better these days and keep up with everything well, but it's not working out. I tried reading into the Getting Things Done method, but I never finished the book. So I'm getting some things done, but neglecting a few. I'm neglecting the blog, I'm neglecting my personal e-mails... Fortunately, I still manage to do some exercise and see friends. Bear with me while I'm getting through the last eight months of my insane life of study and work.

It's not that I never have free time, but I'm usually so tired that when I do have some free time, I usually take it easy. I spend so much time on the computer that when I have some free time, I'm more than happy to leave the thing powered off. I read, watch movies, go for walks.

I compiled a bit of data for work yesterday and realized that my two projects are going to use up 1.5 million dollars' worth of the company's R&D budget. It's interesting to get such big projects from the get-go. The timelines are also pretty long. I was joking around the other day and told a colleague that I had been in my position for over a year now and hadn't released anything. It's gonna be several more months before we do release. Things are moving along, which is nice, but it's getting busier.

I also need to find a way to stay focused on my applied project. It's not that I don't want to work on it, but I start reading and what I'm reading opens the door to so many other interesting concepts that I find myself going off path often. I have a structure for the report and I think I'm going to break down an outline this weekend, with dates against sections. My supervisor asked that I send him sections over time, and not submit everything at the very end. I think that's a great strategy.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home