A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Five years

On October 26, 2002, I was on a one-way flight from Montreal to Vancouver, wondering how this next chapter in my life was going to unravel. I was two days away from starting a job in a new company, in a city I didn't know, a week away from getting an apartment, and a few weeks away from receiving what I had shipped via railway from Montreal. Fortunately for me, I was welcomed with open arms by my then-to-be-boss, a kind-hearted woman who let me stay at her place until I could move into my own place and who, over the next little while, introduced me to life on the West Coast.

It hardly feels like five years have gone by since that day. When I look back, I see all that I have done and seen and think "yes, it's been that long". I've traveled all along the West Coast of Canada and the US, I've gone camping in beautiful remote areas in BC, have admired scenery that most people only see on postcards. I developed a taste for running, ran five 10k races and worked up to a half-marathon. I discovered kayaking, showshoeing, hiking, climbing, salsa dancing. I bought a condo in a hot real-estate market and have been a homeowner for four years. I changed my career path and am only a few months away from completing an MBA (OK, half a year away, but still). If anything, the past five years have been extremely busy.

I just don't feel like five years have gone by. I don't feel older. I do feel a little wiser though, more knowledgeable about life and what I want from it, about my goals and aspirations.

I wonder if five years ago, I had any idea that I would stay here for so long...

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Salut Mélissa,

    Cinq ans! Aie, c'est vrai que ça s'est passé vite. Que de choses accomplies dans ces cinq années. En lisant tes commentaires sur ton blog (ce que je fais trop peu souvent, je l'avoue), j'ai buté sur celui du cinq ans et il m'a fait réfléchir à tout ce qui s'était passé de notre côté depuis que tu es partie. Ça me fait aussi réaliser que nous nous habituons à ton absence même si tu nous manques toujours autant. Nous savons maintenant que tu es installée à Vancouver pour un bon bout, que tu y as construit une vie riche et stimulante (ce que tu aurais fait aussi à Montréal, j'en suis sûr, mais différemment). Avec toi à Vancouver, Annie en religion (au MBA) et Marc-Antoine en pleine carrière et cheminement professionnel, je constate que notre famille traverse une période où l'on se voit moins, où les périodes communes, les rencontres spontanées sont plus rares. Quand je monte seul au chalet, je revois cette période où vous étiez enfants et où l'été nous appartenait à tous. Je suis un peu nostalgique de cette période mais en même temps, je suis toujours ébahi par vos vies d'adultes, si stimulantes et si actives.

    Je vais donc essayer de passer un peu plus souvent sur ton blogue et t'écrire aussi plus fréquemment des courriels.

    À bientôt Mélissa,

    Papa!
    P.S. As-tu célébré ces cinq années?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home