A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Friday, March 17, 2006

OK, I'm still at home

I could not sleep at all last night, my cough kept me awake. My symptoms are slowly converging from an infection to an irritation. The doctor called yesterday afternoon to tell me that my throat swab test came back negative. No strep. But since I already started the antibiotics, she recommended to continue taking them for four days and then stop. Why four? No idea.

I don't like the idea of taking pills when not needed. I should have waited until the test results came back, but even she (my doctor) was convinced it was a case of strep. This must be some kind of clever virus that mimics the symptoms of a bacteria. Darn thing!

So, back to basics. Buckley's only managed to turn my stomach, not stop the coughing. Even the night-time formula didn't help me sleep, I was up on and off between 1 and 7 a.m. Instead, I'm rinsing my throat with salted water. Let's see how that helps. I'm also going to try catching cat naps on the sofa throughout the day. Maybe if I sleep in a sitting position, I won't cough so much.

I hate being sick :-(

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Mélie-Sicky-West-Coaster,

    I'm sad to see you're using my BC-conterparts on a regular basis...

    One advice: stop the ATB. Useless if the Strep test is negative. You take ATB to prevent the complications of a Strep throat infection. No strep, no ATB! Besides that, you should always take a full course of ATB. 4 days only promote selecting resisting bacterias!

    If you can't sleep and cough that much, you need codeine. Either pills or syrup (they work the same). Try to get it behind the pharmacy counter. I don't know if it's legal in BC. You can usually get empracet (tylenol plus codeine) without prescription.

    Keep the moral... A viral infection lasts roughly 5-7 days...
    At least, it's +5 and not -7 on your side ;-)

    Wish you good luck...

    Fred.

     
  • At 10:48 AM, Blogger Melissa said…

    Having friends who are doctors rocks!! Thanks for the advice, I appreciate.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home