A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Overworked

Two high-intensity workouts in a single day is too much. I discovered this today.

I started this morning with my first session with Jenika, who will be my personal trainer for the new few months. I do a lot of running and this causes certain imbalances in my body. Jenika is helping me strengthen the core muscles (abs, shoulders, back) and the muscles that counterbalance the muscles typically used during a run. Several colleagues have worked with her and liked her methods. She's tough, I'm sure I'll see some real improvement after working out with her.

Then, after work, I had my hill session with the running clinic. We were set to run nine hills. I made it to seven. The last one felt terrible, I was so tired. I don't think that combining two hard workouts on the same day is a good approach. I'll ask Jenika to switch my sessions to Tuesday morning instead.

It's strange, when I tell people that I am working with a personal trainer, I often get a remark about how expensive it is. It's not cheap, but this is my health I'm investing in. And if you want to compare prices, I could buy personal training for an entire year for the price of some flat-screen TVs. I don't eat out very often, I don't buy lattes every day (one $4.50 latte at Starbucks every day amounts to about $1200 yearly)... I guess it depends where your priorities are :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home