A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The gift of life

I gave blood for the very first time today. I'm happy to report that I didn't feel faint and that my blood-iron level is high (enough). They make it pretty easy to give, there's a shuttle that picks us up at work, drives us to the clinic, then drives us back. You simply need to show up. I think I might just try to give regularly, every 56-days, as this is the amount of time that your body needs to completely regenerate 454ml of blood. I was given a first-time donor pin and will receive my donor card by mail. I'm looking forward to learning what my blood type is!

After work, I went to see Picasso at the Vancouver Art Gallery with Charles. I had initially invited both Lara and Charles, but Lara is starting a new job this week and battling a cold, she was a bit too tired to walk around a museum. So I borrowed her boyfriend :-) The exhibit was really interesting, as the drawings and prints were not pieces you would typically associate with Picasso. I also suggested that we visit the fourth floor permanent collection of Emily Carr paintings. Charles was really impressed with her work.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:56 AM, Blogger Steve said…

    Congratulations on your donation! Needles make Dina squeamish, but I've been trying to donate blood at least once a year.

    I haven't managed the trick since the kids were born because apparently I just look too tired to the nurses at Hema-Quebec.

    My grandfather gave something like 100 pints over his lifetime. I have a long way to go to live up to that legacy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home