A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Sunday, December 12, 2004

Not the weekend I had anticipated

but things worked out nicely afterall.

Flashback to Friday, after lunch. The right side of my mouth has been sore for a few days (new soreness) and as the afternoon progresses, is getting rapidly more inflamed and swelling quite a bit. Colleagues can even notice the difference in my face. So, at 3:30, I call my surgeon and ask for advice. It's not normal for swelling to return one week after the tooth extraction, so he sends a prescription for a more potent antibiotic to my drugstore. When I returned from work, I started with a double dose, prepared my stuff for Whistler and waited for Tucker to pick me up. Well, the ride to Whistler was awful. It was so painful and sore, the swelling was also preventing me from closing my mouth as part of the cheek was coming in between the top and bottom row of teeth. Good times!

This was going to be a day-by-day call type of weekend. Could I go snowboarding? I would have to wait and see how I felt Saturday morning. Unfortunately, not better, so I slept in while Tucker went out to test the slopes. I stayed in bed until noon, watching the movie Chocolat and eating yogourt. Then, I ventured out in the village, managed to get the ski school and equipment rental places to transfer my pre-paid class and rental to another weekend, did a bit of walking around and shopping, then returned to the hotel room around 3. Relaxed a bit more. Tucker arrived around 4, we changed to our bathing suits and went down to the pool and hot tub before his friends, Dennis and Jenn arrived.

By Saturday night, I was feeling a bit better, but still not really able to eat normal quantities of food. I wasn't going to snowboard this weekend, that's for sure. But I was told that I would have probably hated it this weekend. Whistler had lots of snow until Thursday and then Friday, it rained all day and then froze in the evening. Which made the skiing conditions really fast and hard, not good for a beginner snowboarder who falls all the time. I would have hurt myself most probably. So, I took my malaise in stride and decided that at least, I spent a good weekend relaxing. If I had stayed at home, I would have worked.

On Sunday, everyone woke up late and had a breakfast snack at Starbucks. I explored the village for an hour and went to see Bridget Jones 2. Entertaining but nothing to rave about.

Now, we are back in Vancouver. Another insane week at work is about to start. I'm still on antibiotics for at least another 8 days, I'll finish the pills just in time for Christmas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home