A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Friday, October 22, 2004

What a day!

Fridays are usually about winding down and getting ready for the weekend. My Friday was everything but winding down.

I had a technician from ADT (alarm company) scheduled to come in between 8 and 9 to replace the battery of my console. Last weekend, my alarm started beeping furiously and the only indicator that something was wrong was the word "BAT". Minutes later, I received a call from ADT telling me that my console battery was low and should be replaced. OK. But my console is locked and I don't have a key, so how am I going to do this? Well, you have to have a technician come in and replace the battery and yes, we do have to charge you for this. Did I have a choice? At 8:30 this morning, the technician calls and says he's been scheduled to do two battery replacements but has only one battery in his truck. Says he's going to call dispatch to see if another technician can drop by and change my battery. Goodie! At 11, I call dispatch, who hasn't heard from the technician, complain a bit and they send someone else to do the replacement. Free of charge. And while the guy was here, I also made sure he replaced the batteries in all the sensors. For free. Customer's always right, no?

Later in the afternoon (now, I was working from home today, due to all this servicing activity, but didn't manage to get much done because of VPN problems), my washer and dryer were delivered by Sears. Yay! They look great, I'm so excited, but wait, the power cord should plug into a four-hole outlet and my outlet only has three holes. I call Sears, they dispatch me to technical support to be told that my 220V outlet is not standard, it should have four holes (two grounds and two 110V), I need to get an electrician to get it fixed. Before Monday 8 a.m., 'cause that's when the service technicians from Sears are doing the installation. Goodie. I've been living without a washer/dryer for a couple of weeks now and the last thing I want to do is wait another week. So I get the directory I received from the Better Business Bureau and call the closest electrician. Fortunately, he can make it between 7-7:30 on Monday. So I'm still on schedule.

Now, I have to go visit Home Depot again to buy the flexible tube that connects the dryer to my dryer vent. It doesn't come with the dryer. And I should buy metal, 'cause the plastic ones tend to melt with the new dryers. Goodie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home