A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Sunday, October 03, 2004

Race Report

Well, I don't think I could have asked for a better challenge. This morning was the Run for the Cure and, along with 170,000 other Canadians, I took part in this exciting event. Did you know that this year, 19.2 million was raised for breast cancer research? That's really fantastic. Our group, Fit City for Women, managed to raise $10,870, $450 of which was thanks to your generous donations.

The race went well. It was sunny and cool-ish, great conditions for running. I was waiting for the race to start, when Sheri, a friend of Tucker, came to join me. She had spotted Tucker in the crowd (he was my supporter and did a really good job of it), nothing surprising ;) Sheri and I ran together and we were a pretty good team, pacing each other in some spots, challenging each other in others. We finished the 5 km in 32:35, and raced to the finish line. It felt really good. We then stretched a bit to avoid getting sore muscles tomorrow and entered BC Place where they were giving out snacks (bananas, yogurt, cookies, water and coffee) and keeping people entertained with bands. Felt really funny to sit down on the green, Tucker and I had just been in BC Place the night before to watch the BC Lions (they won!) play against Winnipeg.

I had a great time preparing myself for and running the 5 km. Sheri told me there is another 5 or 10 km race at the end of November, for the Heart and Stroke Foundation. I'll spare you another round of fundraising but will sign up for this one ;)

Thank you everyone, you were great supporters!!

1 Comments:

  • At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bravo Melissa. 32 minutes !!! c'est à peu près ce qu'il nous faut pour faire 5 km en vélo... Nous lisons ton web log régulièrement... Lâches pas ... C'est intéresant et nous fait comprendre combien tu aimes ta nouvelle contrée. Nous nous demeurons avec nos hivers, il y en a un qui s'en vient à grand pas mais depuis quelques jours après deux nuits de 0° C. c'est presque l'été des indiens. Bye!
    Alphonse et Monique.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home