A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Friday, September 24, 2004

Stellar evening

Tucker's employer had donated a prize to be auctioned off at Gambado, a dinner-auction event organized by the Shooting Star Foundation to raise money for people living with HIV/AIDS. Tucker received the pair of courtesy tickets for the auction, held at Performance Works on Granville Island. So last night, we dressed up and headed out for an evening of fun!

Auctions are really cool, we had lots of fun bidding on items in the silent auction. We didn't win every prize we place a bid on (better this way, the bill would have been high), but we did end up with some pretty neat items. Tucker won the "Learn to row" course at a rowing club in Vancouver and he also was the highest bidder on a beautiful picture of the Inukshuk at English Bay.

I won the bid on an original artwork from an Alberta artist called Stephanie Kewisten. The West-Coast First-Nation style work of art depicts a single loon. I tried finding additional information about the artist on the Web, but there is none. I will try to call the gallery who donated the piece to ask them for a bio. I also placed the final bid on a gift certificate at a local restaurant, combined with a t-shirt with their logo.

This was not my first such auction, I had volunteered this year at the post-dinner auction for the Trevor Linden Golf Tournament. The event raises funds for Camp Goodtimes, a camp for children living with cancer (I volunteer for the Canadian Cancer Society in Vancouver). But this was my first time as an attendee of an auction, and I plan to return next year! It was lots of fun!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home