A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Monday, October 25, 2004

I can do laundry again!

And what a pleasure it is... especially after a couple of weeks without washer-dryer access.

Today was the day where the electrical problem was fixed and the new combo was installed by the technicians from Sears. At 7 a.m., bright and early, was the visit from the electrician who did a pretty quick and clean job, I thought, of replacing my three-hole 220V outlet with a four-hole 220V outlet and changing the breaker from 20Amps to 30Amps.

Then, around 12:30, two guys from Sears show up. One has installed Bosch machines before, the other one, never. At least it's not both of them who are clueless about the process. To stack the machines, there's a little stacking kit that requires you to drill holes IN the top of the washer (yes, sir), but my two guys don't have a power drill. Boy did I feel good handing them MY power drill, fully charged and ready to go. Silly guys.

Well, I've done a test wash and so far, I'm still warming up to the new machines. First, I started at 2:30 and at 5, the dryer is still going. The washer was the heavy time consumer, but I did make the mistake of having the Power Wash button on, which means the longest washing cycle. The dryer is supposed to have sensors that measure the humidity and stop the machine automatically when the load is dry. Well, when the clothes get all lumped together, the ones in the middle don't dry and the sensors think that the machine is done. When it's not. My load could have probably used the Regular Dry cycle instead of the Light Dry. I'm still learning.

What really feels odd is the vibration. Because the machines are on the second floor and the washer can spin to 1000rpm, the entire apartment shakes when the washer is spinning. It feels like a minor earthquake, I hope it doesn't freak out the neighbours. And my workstation is right next to the bathroom, so when laundry is going full blast, my screen is hard to read.

If I feel the vibration is out of hand, I might try to balance the machine, which my two Sears technician have not spent an enormous amount of time doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home