A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Monday, September 08, 2008

These feet are made for walking...

And that's just what they did! Woot, another year, another 60 km walked to raise funds for and awareness about breast cancer. Although there seemed to be less walkers involved this year (around 1,600), the total amount raised for the Vancouver walk was incredible: $4.1 million! I raised almost $2,400, short of my $3,000 goal, but given that I did not invest much time in special fundraising events, it's quite the amount. Many, many thanks to everyone who contibuted!! I posted a few pictures from the event here.

Once again, the weather cooperated and we spent a sunny weekend walking around the city. This is the fifth year of the event in Vancouver and the third in which I participate. I've been lucky, because the two years I didn't participate endured rainy weather throughout the weekend. Was I better prepared? Well, not so much as far as the walking was concerned, I didn't do any long training walks but since I do walk all the time and everywhere, I managed pretty well. I was better prepared and educated about the event itself: stretching every hour, using Vaseline between the toes to avoid hotpots from rubbing (I have only one blister, not bad), changing sox at lunch, drinking lots of water throughout the day, and pacing myself were all factors in my making it to Sunday without major problems. Today, I am sore (especially at the hips) and my feet will prefer sandals for a few days but I feel great!

It was a tiring event, if only for the fact that you end up awake at 5:30 on both days. This year, I slept like a baby in the tent. It wasn't extremely cold, but I did wear a thin hat and I think it helped. I also took a muscle relaxant before going to bed, something I believe did contribute to my peaceful night. Joanne, who did the walk with me this year, and I were part of the lucky ones who did not get a rude awakening in the middle of the night. Someone forgot to turn off the sprinklers in the park and all of a sudden, some time around 2 a.m., it started pouring in a section of camp. Some sprinklers even came out from under a few tents. I heard about the commotion in the morning while chatting with other walkers. Sweet, sweet oblivion. Even then, you have to give it to participants to exhibit such positive attitude, campers who were soaked during the incident found the story quite funny the following morning.

And that attitude is a good reflection of the attitude of all participants, crew and supporters throughout the entire weekend. No matter how tired people are, how much pain they feel, the event is always a mixture of cheers, laughter, and overall camaraderie. Breast cancer is a terrible disease, but the fight against breast cancer truly brings the best out of people.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home