A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Just like that...

Yesterday was my last day at work. After three years working with the same company, I finally said my goodbyes, packed my personal belongings and made it out the front door without my access card. It doesn't feel weird yet, but it will on Monday when I wake up and think "is it nice out? should I go climbing?"

:-)

It was a short day, something I was really happy with since Annie and I had gone to bed around 1 a.m. the night before. She flew in Thursday morning and I met her at Christ Church Cathedral downtown for a concert by Cuban pianist extraordinaire Ernán López-Nussa. What a musician! After the concert, we were invited to a house party at George's place in Point Grey (Annie is taking George's place at Festival Vancouver starting in September). The party was lovely, we ate hamburgers on the patio, had wine, and chatted with a bunch of people involved with or participating in Festival Vancouver. The impromptu jam session in the living room was phenomenal, musicians who never played together improvising a few jazz tunes like it's second nature. So much fun.

Last night was my birthday dinner with friends (pictures here). I wanted to have it while Annie was in town, and a few people couldn't make it on Saturday, so we settled for Friday. We ate at Monk McQueen's, always a favourite for fresh seafood and one of the most impressive patios in the city. Especially on a hot summer evening, when the sky is turning all kinds of pastel colors as the sun is setting, and you are sitting by the water while sailboats float by. We arrived at 7:30, only made it to our table by 8:15, but I think we closed the restaurant. Afterwards, we popped in next door at a pub that recently re-opened as a more upscale bar. Once again, another fabulous venue with a large patio over the marina. After closing the bar (it's located in a residential area, so the closing time is 1 a.m.), we headed back home, both Annie and I were tired and I had to get up early to volunteer at Dress for Success. So much fun!!!

Tonight we have another concert at the Chan Centre: the Ju Percussion Group from Taiwan. I can't wait.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home