A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Applying business guidelines to non-profit

I just finished reading a wonderful book: Leaving Microsoft to Change the World, by John Wood, the CEO and Founder of Room to Read. If you want to read one inspiring book this year, that's the one. John was an executive at Microsoft who was responsible for the company's expansion and activities in Asia. In 1998, while on vacation in Nepal, he visited a school in an impoverished village. He couldn't believe the state of the school's library: three books left behind by hikers that were locked in a cabinet so the children wouldn't damage them. That's when he knew his life was going to change forever. He promised to return to the school to bring books to the children (proper books, colorful and educational). The story from there is nothing but amazing.

I really connected with the book for three reasons. First, the author is so passionate about his cause, it transpires through the pages of the book. You can feel his dedication. Second, I'm an avid reader and I couldn't imagine not having access to books, both when I was a kid and today. And finally, through the book, John Wood comments on how he decided to run his non-profit along the same lines as one would run a business and how this philosophy has reaped incredible results. If you visit the web site, you will see the focus on research and results, on cost containment and on accountability.

The book also made me think about our Foundation project, and the fact that I didn't feel that I was at a point in time where I could dedicate myself seriously to the cause. Interestingly enough, when I met with Lara and Charles last night to discuss the project, we all came to the same conclusion. I'm working full-time and studying for my MBA. Lara is working full-time and studying for her degree in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). Charles is working and is potentially going to accept an assignment abroad in the next few months. All three of us are at a point where we are expanding our professional experience and learning new skills. Starting the Foundation now would only mean lots of frustration for because of limited achievements. So, as we say in French, this is only "partie remise", but definitely not our focus in 2007.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home