A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Must focus

I'm finding it hard these days to focus on whatever it is that I'm supposed to do. My brain seems to enjoy wandering between thoughts and ideas. A little bit like a four-year old. I think. But less Elmo, more UI design and interest groups.

So, here's a bit of a brain dump. I'm sharing a few recent discoveries with you, maybe if I write about them, they will stop interrupting my assignment-writing.
  • Net Impact: I joined this organization last week. This is a network of leaders who are changing the world through business. Members are students and recent graduates from MBA or other Masters programs who want to have an impact. Net Impact has several interesting programs, such a board fellowships (where you sit on the board of a non-profit organization) and pro-bono work, also with non-profit.
  • SustainableBusiness.com: Sustainable investments, company profiles, related news... I found this to be an interesting portal and signed up for their newsletter.
  • PMI: I also joined this organization last week. This is the institute that manages the Project Management Professional (PMP) certification. I'm interested in pursuing this certification, maybe right after I finish the MBA and while I'm waiting for Annie to complete hers. Notice how failure is not an option ;)
  • Springwise: You know the term "out-of-the-box" (Ok, you do, and it's overuse, but let me use this as a parallel). Well, Springwise showcases new business ideas that are not only out-of-the-box, but out the window, down the street, and halfway across town. People have some imagination! My favorite: Ello Mobile, which is giving 100% of its profits to charity, Ecoinsurance, a policy that tracks your CO2 emissions and gives rebates to low emitters, and a sustainable dance club. Who says you can't save the environment and have fun. Actually, I always wondered why gyms did not reuse the energy generated by cardio workouts. I'm sure you could plug some of the machines back into the club's power source and reduce energy consumption when the club is busy.

OK, I feel better.

BTW, water is still cloudy, more yellow than brown, but still undrinkable. It's been a week now.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home