A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Sunday, April 09, 2006

More challenges ahead... that's life I guess!

I woke up this morning to a very quiet condo... The unfortunate thing about visitors is that they eventually leave and are missed again. It doesn't take long to miss the people you love :-)

So, before settling back into my old routine again, I decided to spend a few hours recreating my resume. No worries, I'm still employed (as far as I know), but recent changes in the company have convinced me that the opportunities I saw eight months ago are no longer there. I'm taking a proactive approach this time, planning a transition ahead, as it might take me longer to find something. I'll explain.

I've been working as a technical writer for seven years now. Although I still enjoy this type of work, it is no longer challenging. I feel I've learned all I wanted to learn about technical writing and that it's time to move on. My recent experience with project management has confirmed this need for a change. I'm excited about the projects I get to manage at work, less excited about my documentation deliverables.

Looking for work in a field where you have limited experience is very hard. When I looked at my existing resume, I knew it wasn't going to convince anyone that I could manage projects. Instead of using a traditional experience-based format, I rewrote everything to focus on professional skills. I like the new format, it's short and to the point.

I already started monitoring the job opportunities in Vancouver and found a few interesting project management openings. My gut feeling tells me I should plan a move before the fall, especially with the MBA classes starting in September. I'll be busy enough with school to worry about work and I don't want to start classes and a new job at the same time!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home