A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

In a little box

I did mention in a previous post that work was going through some changes and I didn't know where I would fit after these changes. Well, today, I kinda found out. I was politely placed in a little box, the same box that many others are being placed in, and told that this was now my place. I don't fit in the box, it's square and restrictive, it has a defined volume and the top can be closed. I really don't fit in the box. I prefer shelves, or a little corner, sometimes I'll even take the entire table and other times, I would fit in a pencil case. Please... not the box.

I tried arguing against the box, saying I was claustrophobic and it would make me unhappy. Apparently, it doesn't really matter, everyone gets a box and has to live within it. That's the new rule. I asked if I could get a bigger box, to stretch my legs now and then. No, this is the box I get. It has very little legroom.

How unfortunate, but at the same time, how clear. How clear that the new directions fit so poorly with my direction. Now the goal will be to find an employer who lets me choose the box, or maybe at least cut a window in one of the sides so I can look out now and then.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 9:12 AM, Blogger YaletownYuppie said…

    I can feel your frustration. It's maddening when an organization can't see the value in keeping stars part of the team. If you've got an employee with talent, drive and motivation why the hell wouldn't you do everything within your power to ride that person's coat tails and keep them happy doing good things for the company? Lord knows there's not many out there like that. Shortsightedness perhaps. But arrogance is more likely the answer. They figure we're expendable and replacable. M'eh... who needs those bastards anyway! More power to you Mel.

    I'm happy to extend my network whenever you're ready

     

Post a Comment

<< Home