A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Oh goodness! Radio is back!

This morning, when I woke up at 6 to go for a run, I had the pleasure of hearing some of the voices I had been missing since mid August: CBC was back! The luxury, a full 15 minutes of news at the hour and local news every 1/2 past.

Not having a TV means you listen quite a bit to the radio. In the morning, there's Radio Canada Edition Colombie-Britannique, so I remember my French. Then, when I come home, I listen to the news and As It Happens. Even while I'm online for my accounting course, I like to keep the radio in the background. You can imagine how hard it was to not have this regular auditory contact with the world for two months. Good job for negotiating an agreement you guys.

Hopefully, the teachers and the government of BC can also do the same quickly, although it currently seems unlikely. It's an unfortunate situation, a few years back, BC Liberals voted a law making education an essential service (while promising this was not going to take away the right to strike), teachers go on strike in 2005, BC courts say the strike is illegal, forces teachers back to work, teachers say no way Jose and now they are facing huge penalties. In the mean time, 600,000 students cannot go to school and parents are left making all kinds of last-minute arrangements to find someone to look after the kids.

Total change of topic, I went to see The History of Violence last weekend, it made a lot of noise during the Toronto Film Fest, was getting positive reviews... Well, I was not impressed. I could have waited for the DVD. It was not a bad movie, but nothing that left me wanting more or wondering. Not like Crash, another movie that I saw a few weeks back (rental). Crash was an amazing movie, raised all kinds of important yet touchy issues, and the performance of the mostly unknown cast was really touching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home