A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Google, you rock!

I just discovered that you can personalize your Google homepage to add little portals to sites and services you use on a regular basis. For example, I use Google map often and now it's available every time I start my browser. Also, I've been using Google's Reader to subscribe to RSS feeds. The Reader can also be added to your homepage. I'm always amazed at the ideas coming out of that company, but giving web users the ability to create their own dashboard is fantastic. We've studied Google in my Management of Innovation class and there's no question about their ability to get the creative juices flowing. Apparently, employees have some discretionary time that they can use to work on their own little pet projects. That's a strong incentive for employees to innovate.

I'm very happy to report that my message of last night was not scrambled and accents made it through successfully. I don't think I'll start writing every post in French, but sometimes, it feels right to tell a story using my mother tongue.

We have a new resource at the Career Management Center (CMC, at school) who, so far, has greatly impressed me. I had a quick chat with her during our dinner at the Vancouver Club a few weeks ago and told her a bit about my plans for the future. I also told her about my interest in green technology. She has a background in environmental science, so my interest truly resonated with her. She's been forwarding me information about conferences and workshops related to sustainability and the environment. Last week, she set a ticket aside for me to The Sustainable Living Expo in March. Then, she also told me about the fact that the school had contacts within the Globe Foundation. If I was interested, I could look into doing my final project for them.

Wow!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home