A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Reading, browsing...

It's always amazing that will all the reading I have to do for class, I still manage to spend some time reading other books. I have just finished reading what was probably one of the best books I've read on management: First, Break All the Rules, by Marcus Buckingham & Curt Coffman. The result of a massive investigation undertaken by Gallup, the book has a refreshing insight on great managers and how people typically want to be treated in the workplace. It talks about promotions (promotion from a specialized position to a managerial position is often done, but not often a good idea), evaluations and their traditional focus on weaknesses... I strongly recommend this book, even if you are not a manager. There's even a chapter on managing your manager! Next up, I'm reading The Ecology of Commerce, by Paul Hawken.

Here are also a few interesting sites I've bookmarked lately:

  • Cooking for Engineers. I thought this was cute, recipes written specifically for people with analytical minds. I tried their rosemary lamb chop recipe a few weekends ago when I had friends over for dinner and it was a success.
  • Environmental Career Opportunities. It was insteresting to browse and read about jobs I had no idea existed (Aquatic Ecologist, for example). There are a few Project Manager openings in Florida and California...
  • Language Log. Really clever blog about language and the proper (or often improper) use of words.

This is the song I'm listening to: Hide and Seek, Imogen Heap.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home