A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Urban gardening

The weather people said that we would only get sun today, so I thought this was an excellent time to buy plants, soil, and work on my patio. I cleaned the patio not too long ago, with the intention of bringing in the new plants the following weekend, but somewhere in the middle, I went camping and ended up sick, so this was still on my to-do list.

Most garden centers (Home Depot, Rona) don't really cater to the condo population with small balconies. When you buy flowers, you get a flat with the same kind. It's hard to create original flower boxes with one or two kinds of plants. I did a bit of research and found a store called Art Knapp's Urban Gardener, where they sell planter starter kits. You get six little plants in a kit, enough for one flower box. I bought three kits, one for each flower box, some soil and fertilizer. And a tomato plant. I know, tomatoes need a lot of sun, but I'll try just this once.

My first flower box has a yellow theme: Supertunia Lemon Plume (Petunia hybrid), Laguna Sky Blue (Lobelia hybrid), and Margarita (Ipomoea batatas). My second flower box has a pink theme: Vanilla Butterfly (Argyranthemum), Intensia Lavender Glow (Phlox hybrid), Compact Pink Innocence (Nemesia fruticans), and Supertunia Lemon Plume, again (Petunia hybrid). My third flower box has no theme, it has all kinds of colors in there: Supertunia Royal Velvet (Petunia hybrid), Flying Colors Red (Diascia hybrid), and Solaire Yellow (Bidens ferulifolia).

I also bought a Clematis paniculata at the supermarket. It looked sad and I thought I'd try to save it from its ugly destiny.

Now I can say that my balcony looks a lot more inviting! Anyone up for a BBQ (you will need a car though, I think that my tank is almost empty)? I'll cook ;)

Here are some pictures...


Pink-themed flower box Posted by Picasa

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home