A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Saturday, April 02, 2005

Sooo...

It looks like I might be out of a job, maybe as early as next week. Yikes! Well, not entirely a surprise, but still a bit of a shock. I work for a privately funded company and it seems like our investors are not liking where the company is heading. They are most probably going to pull out and cut their losses. This means we are running out of money. I guess this is pretty typical for the high-tech industry. I'm slowly getting used to the idea.

So, you can guess what I am busy doing this weekend: updating the resume, searching job offers, sending applications, and doing a bit of research on contracting. Contracting is quite the norm in my field. Because of the additional freedom and independence, it is appealing. However, it requires a lot more work making sure you always have work. Properly marketing yourself and building a strong network is crucial if you want to work on contract. I'll see.

Since I don't know when my current employer will actually pull the plug, I do have a little bit of time to prepare myself for the inevitable. However, from the rumors going around the office, it didn't sound like we will make it very far into the month of April. C'est la vie!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home