A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Sunday, April 03, 2005

Independence looks good

I had coffee with Lara this afternoon (I still thought it was the morning but, blast!, we lost an hour somewhere between last night and this morning). Event though we live close by, we haven't found much time to hang around and chat. That's a shame because she's truly a friend that I can open up with, we share similar ideals and can really engage ourselves in pretty interesting conversations.

Lara told me about her experience as a contractor (self-employed), how she cannot go back to the 9-5, working-for-someone-else deal after being her own boss for more than a year in Montreal. We spoke about careers, projects, boyfriends, family, and things that scare us about the world we live in. I thought my change of vision since I had moved to Vancouver was only in my imagination, but it seems that Lara is living the same change. There is something about Vancouver (and the West Coast) that makes you more aware about environmental issues, about health and the food that you eat, about consumerism and our general slavery to material goods, about human rights and responsibilities. It's not that these topics are not on the mind of people back East, it just seems that they are more openly discussed and promoted out here.

I'm a bit worried about tomorrow and at the same time anxious. I'm hoping that we will know more about the status of the company. Not knowing is the hardest, once you know, you can turn around and prepare a plan of action, what your next move will be. Let's see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home