A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Going back to school investigation, first contact with UBC

Before committing myself to a program and letting go of any free time I might have, I thought it would be prudent to look into the various options in Vancouver. There are two main universities offering MBAs: the University of British-Columbia (UBC) and Simon Fraser University (SFU). Both have downtown campuses where the business courses are thought.

Tonight, I went to an information session at UBC, but not for an MBA. Continuing Education has a Project Management Certificate that caught my attention. My office roommate is a student in this Certificate program and his feedback on the program is very positive.

The program is indeed interesting, but I see it more as a specialization, something you would do when you have several years of experience as a project manager and you want to refine your skills with some additional training. I don't think it's the right kind of program for me at this time. What I like about the MBA programs is that they are very general. They cover many aspects of a business, not just project management. Although project management is something I'd be interested in, I feel I would get more out of program that also covered marketing, HR, accounting, economics, and so on.

I have another information session on July 7, for the MBA at UBC. I still haven't been able to get any response from SFU regarding upcoming information sessions... Hopefully, I'll hear from them soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home