A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Final set of pictures

I've posted pictures from Germany and our last few days in Amsterdam. You can find the pictures here.

Life has returned to normal after the late return from Europe and the busy work week. It feels good to be back in somewhat of a routine, working, going to the gym, chilling at home on a cloudy Saturday afternoon. The weather has not been very pleasant since we returned, usually 11-15, and some rain. Yesterday was nicer, which was a relief, since work had organized an "amazing-race" style team building activity and we spent most of the afternoon running around downtown. It was fun!

Now, I'm looking ahead and looking around for other work opportunities as my current contract ends on July 15 and for now, I have no idea if an extension or a permanent offer is in the works. Better be prepared with alternatives.

I'm also doing some research on the various MBA programs offered in Vancouver. I had started my MBA in Montreal and had to stop the program to move to Vancouver. Unfortunately, my previous job has been so time-consuming, I couldn't even fathom the idea of going back to complete the program until now. My GMAT results are valid until September 2006, so I wouldn't have to redo this exam to apply to a local program. And I bet some of the courses I have completed in Montreal could be credited.

I have come to realize that additional schooling will probably be required if I want to move from technical writing to other functions within a company. I enjoy working in high tech, it's an environment that I understand (even if it's quite chaotic). SFU (Simon Fraser University) has a Management of Technology MBA that looks quite interesting. One career move that could interest me is project management. It's not such a far-fetched move from technical writing, where you are required to have a global view of products rather than focusing on a specific area. Good communication skills are required to succeed in project management, I think that is already one of my strengths. I've got more thinking and soul-searching to do, the MBA a major commitment in time and also quite expensive ($25,000 to $40,000).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home