A Frog in BC

Hopefully clever comments about life in Vancouver, B.C. as lived by a French girl from Montreal

Saturday, July 23, 2005

The failure of humanity

I just finished reading Shake Hands with the Devil, by LGen Roméo Dallaire. This is a hard book to read, but I do recommend it. It took me a while to pick it up, but I don't regret reading it. General Dallaire retells the horrific UN mission in Rwanda, during the 1993-1994 genocide. I was impressed by the amount of details he kept, probably in a personal journal. You read Shake Hands with the Devil and cannot help feel disgusted about what happened to this little African country. But also, you cannot help admire the man who stuck by his mission, even if it was a failure from the very beginning (lack of funds, lack of armed personnel, not allowed to intervene). This story is also about his immense courage and determination.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home